Use of Organizational Resources in Elite Sports Policies: An evaluation from the perspective of athletes
In the modern world, sports have become a tool used to demonstrate superiority among countries. Governments allocate a variety of tangible and intangible resources to regulate sport in various contexts and to keep the industry up and running. Undoubtedly, among sports policies, the most interest and resource allocation appears towards elite sports. The aim of this study is in line with source-based approaches to analysis of elite sport policies in Turkey through the eyes of athletes, elite sport in incentives offered to investigate and understand their impact on athletes. Turkey has entered the last fifteen years, especially among the elite sports level, considerable budget separating the countries. However, the return of these investments as a sportive success has not been achieved yet. Even though there are external (uncontrollable) reasons for this situation, the internal (controllable) reasons will be determined from the point of view of the athletes within the scope of this research. For this purpose, it is aimed to conduct semi-structured in-depth interviews with elite Turkish athletes active in the Olympic sports branches, who are offered various incentives as a result of their sportive success. Adapting to the resource-based approach in the context of the country such as Turkey sport management area, as well as a previously unaddressed issues in the literature, policies to increase the awareness about the distribution of resources of regulators in existing policies regulation and / or will contribute to the creation of new policies. Thus, it is foreseen that the outputs to be obtained at the end of this study will contribute to both academic literature and practice.
The main objectives of this research are as follows:
- Analyze from the eyes of the elite athletes in the direction of the source-based approach to sports policy in Turkey,
- Examining the regulation to reward the success of their youth and sports services and activities for the determination of policy for awarding of athletes in Turkey
- Documentation of the professional career path of Turkish Olympic athletes,
- Understanding the effects of concrete and intangible incentives on the sports career of Turkish elite athletes.
This research is important for the following reasons:
- Are inadequate when compared with developed countries provided to elite sport in Turkey, although the concrete and the abstract clearly defined government policy encouraging results received by athletes.
- Although the number of Turkey have chosen sports as a profession has a high population of young elite athletes remains low compared with developed countries.
- Turkey is engaged by elite sports in high investment based on the size and development of the infrastructure to host international sporting events. However, this investment does not affect the overall success of Turkish athletes in the international sports scene.
Support Amount: 19.250,00 ₺
Social inclusion of African athletes in Europe
Project Acronym: SINAFE (SIMPLICITY)
Scope: Erasmus+ Collaborative Partnership in the field of Sport
Priority: Encourage social inclusion and equal opportunities in sport.
Project Duration: 24 Months (Projected dates 01.01.2021-31.12.2022)
The overall objectives of SINAFE are to:
- To develop a support mechanism for social inclusion of migrant African athletes in Europe. With the perspective of “sport as a human right”, it targets to encourage social inclusion and support providing equal opportunities in sport for all people, including the ones from a disadvantageous background. In spite sport is seen as a perfect tool for social mobility and the stories from sport, particularly football, presents a dream for many young athletes, many athletes are coming from poor countries suffer from social exclusion in the country they migrated. The migration of an increasing number of athletes to Europe in recent years makes this issue prominent in the European context.
- Contribute to innovative approaches to training for migrant athletes by developing a curriculum including rights, legal procedures and occupational information using inclusive and empowering techniques.
The special aims of the SINAFE project are to:
- To develop and implement a support mechanism for minor migrant athletes to include them in the host country and sport industry.
- To provide a needs analysis report with qualified data gathered by experts in the field to exhibit challenges faced by migrant athletes and to guide the next steps of the project.
- To develop guides and policy recommendation papers for different stakeholders.
- To develop the curriculum of a training module for minor athletes to overcome their lack of information about general regulations for the immigrant community and specific regulations for migrant athletes. The training mainly aims to support the employment of these athletes in the sports labour market by informing them about their rights and contributing professional knowledge.
The total budget of the project is around € 293.550