About New Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What is New Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
New Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a virus first appeared in a group of patients in December 2019 at Wuhan, China with symptoms of respiratory tract infection like fever, coughing and shortness of breath and identified on January 13, 2020 as a result of the investigations.
It was figured out that COVID-19 as an infectious virus is from Coronavirus family like SARS (2002) and MERS (2012). For further information click here.
How does New Coronavirus (COVID-19) spread?
It infects through direct way or contact of small respiratory droplets that spread upon the coughing and sneezing of infected individuals with mouth, nose and eyes of other individuals.
What are the symptoms of New Coronavirus?
- The most frequent symptoms are high fever, coughing and shortness of breath.
- In severe cases, it can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory infections, renal failure and death.
- The incubation period of the virus may range from 2 to 14 days. Sometimes that period can extend up to 27 days. Symptoms usually appear within the first week after the virus enter the body.
How can we protect ourselves against New Coronavirus?
- Hands should be washed frequently and for at least 20 seconds.
- Contact with infected individuals should be avoided. In the physical proximity of such individuals, a distance of at least 1 meter should be kept whenever possible.
- The mouth and nose should be covered with disposable paper tissues or the inner side of elbow while coughing and sneezing. Disposable tissues should be disposed after each use.
- Doctors should be consulted in cases where fever, coughing and difficulty of breathing are observed. If we have these symptoms, we should act as per the doctor’s recommendations and delay our trips.
- The use of medical masks is recommended during a trip. Hands should not be brought in contact with the mouth, nose and eyes.
- Masks should be discarded if it becomes wet or humid and a new mask should be worn.
- Contagious diseases are more likely to impact individuals with weak immune systems. In order to sustain a strong immune system, we should get enough sleep and should not smoke.
- We should avoid crowded places as much as possible. If we are in indoor spaces, we should air out the places we stay.
How to wash hands properly
It is highly important to wash hands frequently and properly in order to protect ourselves against New Coronavirus. When water and soap are unavailable, hand antiseptics containing 60-70% alcohol can be used.
10 Steps of Proper Hand Washing
- Wet hands and wrists under running water
- Take enough amount of soap into the palm
- Apply soap to cover all hand surfaces and foam
- Rub the dorsum of the hands with the palm of the other hand
- Rub palm to palm with fingers interlaced
- Clench hands and scrub fingertips
- Rub left thumb in the right palm and vice versa
- Rub fingertips in the right palm and vice versa
- Rinse hands with lots of water
- Dry hands with a clean towel or paper towel.
To get further information about COVID-19:
· Watch the video of World Health Organization about basic protective measures against the new coronavirus: