The main objective of the Department of History is to equip our students with critical thinking and analytical writing skills that will prove invaluable to them during their university education and in their professional lives after graduation. To this end we offer our students a variety of core and elective courses.
The wonderful thing about history is that when you study it, you are always studying something else! Historians study politics and government; diplomacy and international relations; science and technology; finance and economics; religion and philosophy; literature and arts; patterns of cultural exchange and change; even archeology, anthropology, evolutionary psychology, and genetics. The history program offered by our department is designed to help you explore your existing interests and discover new ones. History is a dynamic discipline that enables you to see and understand how the minute details fit within larger frames of reference. Studying history provides you with the information and skills you need to think critically and creatively about a range of important issues. After you complete your bachelor’s degree in our program, you will be well prepared to handle the intellectual challenges of further academic study or the complexity of life in the professional world.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Undergraduate study is generally considered only the beginning of a broader career that may include further professional training or academic specialization at the graduate level. Within this scope, İstanbul Bilgi University Department of History offers a highly competitive undergraduate education with a range of different courses. After completing their degrees, our graduates will easily be able to complete the requirements of master’s degrees in history, academic subjects, and areas of professional expertise. Most of our graduates, who venture beyond the disciplinary boundaries of history, continue their careers in fields like sociology, VCD, cultural studies, graphic design, law, and business management. Our graduates who choose to begin working upon the completion of their undergraduate studies usually work in media related jobs, like publishing, editing, translating, advertising, cultural management, and tourism. Some of our graduates also go on to work with various national and international NGOs.
Graduates of the programs will be able to;
- Introducing historical sources to students and developing their ability to make critical analyses
- Developing a historical perspective regarding different concepts and perspectives from humanities and social sciences
- Making sense of political, financial, cultural, and social observations concerning the current events within a long-term historical narrative
- Ensuring that students can read Ottoman Turkish and the texts that were published in Ottoman Turkish; demonstrating familiarity with the Ottoman archival documents and manuscripts
- Developing the verbal and written expressive abilities of students by means of presentations and written assignments