Prepare For The Future in Four Years
Where will you be after graduation?
Will you be ready to join workforce?
Maybe you have a future plan in mind: You know what you would like to do after graduation and you have an idea of how to get there...
Maybe you are not even sure what kind of career you want to pursue after graduation...
Whether you are sure or unsure —if you would like to start working immediately after graduation, it is a good idea to start taking some steps now to reach your career goals. Firstly, develop the habit of stopping by the Office of Talent Development on a regular basis. It’s never too early (or too late) to start. But —the earlier you start, the easier it will be to prepare!
Here is a timeline to guide your process:
- Make an appointment to talk with a talent and career development advisor.
- Check the BILGI Talent website bilgitalent.bilgi.edu.tr not only to follow various career events, seminars and workshops but also to get acquainted with some resources, news and much more.
- Request consultation from the Office of BILGI Talent Development in order to review and/or update your CV with the assistance of a professional.
- Become a member of the professional associations and/or get involved in social projects at various foundations, associations, research centers, related to your field of study. Build a network with your future colleagues while in school. You also can consider to initiate a professional association’s student branch at the university and improve your leadership skills.
- Join student clubs/societies and/or form a brand new club with a group of your friends to demonstrate and improve your entrepreneurship, leadership and organization skills.
- Subscribe and read professional journals in your chosen field and follow them on social media.
Ask questions, explore your options
- Schedule an appointment at the Office of BILGI Talent Development to familiarize yourself with the services and resources available.
- Request one-on-one appointment from the Office of BILGI Talent Development to get consultation for your personal and professional development and future planning.
- Start a career agenda to keep a record of information you explore and your personal and professional development and job/ internship-search activities for the next four years.
- Identify the required skills that the employers seek in the sector/department that you wish to work at and plan how you can acquire and/or improve them before graduation.
- Visit BILGI Talent website to explore the resources that you can benefit from during job search.
- Utilize bilgitalent.bilgi.edu.tr to track the announcements, events and workshops and learn about the internship offers. Additionally, follow the other useful resources and other training opportunities inside the university such as the School of Life.
- Attend to the Talent and Career Development Seminars and prepare your first CV with the consultancy of the Office of BILGI Talent Development. Why not practicing your interviewing skills and attending a mock-interview session!
- Participate in the events to gain information on the career opportunities, employers, sectors etc...
- Explore your interests, abilities and skills through the academic courses you take.
- Chat with the academic members, alumni, academic advisors, BILGI Talent counselors about the program that you study and its potential career paths.
- Join the student clubs/societies which will acquire your leadership skills and experience.
- Get information on the On-Campus Student Employment Program from On-Campus Student Employment and check the application requirements. Consider on-campus volunteer work to enrich your CV.
- Follow BILGI Talent on Facebook – Twitter – LinkedIn – Instagram.
Research your options, test paths
- Schedule an appointment with a talent and career development advisor to bring yourself up-to-date on what's needed in your future planning agenda.
- Add the internship and projects/works that you accomplished during summer break to your CV and edit it with the help of a talent and career development advisor.
- Make use of bilgitalent.bilgi.edu.tr to follow the announcements, activities, workshops and internship opportunities.
- Explore the personal and professional development options in your field of study and discuss it with your academic advisor and talent and career development advisor.
- Join the workshops for CV and cover letter preparation.
- Review your progress in learning four (or more) skills employers seek in new hires.
- Attend on-campus career activities relating to your interests.
- Identify organizations and associations in your interest areas for shadowing opportunities and informational interviews.
- Join at least one professional organization related to your major to get in contact with people in the professional world.
- Work toward one leadership position in a university club or activity and get involved in group/team work.
- Put together a couple of interview outfits.
- Get involved in On-Campus Student Employment Program; gain experience and strengthen your CV.
- Plan your semester/year abroad with Erasmus/Laureate Exchange Programs, get informed and start the application procedure.
- Schedule an appointment with a talent and career development advisor to have your updated CV critiqued.
- Eliminate your career options and narrow your career interests.
- Search for and get information on internship opportunities with the assistance of a talent and career development advisor.
- Make use of bilgitalent.bligi.edu.tr to learn about internship and part-time job opportunities.
- Participate in interviewing, cover-letter writing, and other job-search workshops.
- Attend mock-interview sessions to improve your interview skills.
- Get informed about the required skills employers look for in new hires and review your progress. Participate in the certificate programs that the Office of Talent Development arranges with the collaboration of the companies.
- Attend the sectoral seminars and other programs related to your interests and start establishing your professional network.
- Meet with at least 5 professionals in the career field that you want obtain information on.
- Take leadership positions in student clubs and organizations.
- Evaluate your higher education possibilities (Master’s Ph.D.) and gather information on the application requirements and admission tests.
- Search and find ways to observe various occupations in your field, in the working atmosphere, by attending company visits and other related opportunities.
- Research potential employers and talk to recent graduates in your major about the job market and potential employers.
- Go abroad with an Exchange Program for one semester or for the whole academic year.
Make decisions, plan directions
- Make use of bilgitalent.bilgi.edu.tr and other channels of job search to get informed about job offers.
- Join the personal and professional development programs related to your interests and develop your professional network to use in job search process.
- Draft a cover letter that can be adapted for a variety of employers and have it critiqued by a talent and career development advisor.
- Participate in interviewing workshops and practice interviewing skills.
- Create yourself a LinkedIn profile.
- Read two or more professional or trade publications from your major and career field on a regular basis.
- If you are planning to go to graduate school, determine the universities and programs that you will apply for and start your application process.
- Report all job offers and your acceptance to the Office of Talent Development.
- Search, interview, acceptance, success!
- Update your resume and visit the Office of Talent Development with its latest version to have it critiqued.
- Develop an employer prospect list, containing company names, from organizations you are interested in pursuing.
- Join the group of the Office of Talent Development and Istanbul Bilgi University on LinkedIn.
- Follow our online system, conferences, seminars and activities within the university.
- Stay in contact with us to do mentoring and to participate in the career talks that we organize with our graduates.
Good luck in your personal and professional development journey!