Residence Permit and Procedures
Residence Permit and Procedures
- Follow the guides below to carry out your online residence permit application.
- Online Application must be made, in any case, before the expiration of the visa/residence permit (you can start to do a residence permit renewal 60 days prior to expiry).
- You should not make your online residence permit application before being physically here in Istanbul. According to the laws, you can only make this application after you cross the Turkish border.
- You will submit all of your documents to the International Student Advising Office regardless of your appointment date.
- NOTE: Students who have Syrian Temporary Protection Card will need to go to the Migration Office at their appointment date and submit their documents there after they complete their online application.
* If you have Turkish nationality (TC Kimlik) or Mavi Kart, you do not need a residence permit.
The Migration Office may always ask for additional information and documents concerning your residence permit request.
IMPORTANT: If you are facing any technical difficulties on the website regarding your application, we suggest you try early in the morning since the servers are less loaded at that time. You may try to use Safari or Opera browser (go into the settings and turn on VPN) and try different devices too. You may also try to do your application under the Turkish version of the First Application. To avoid language problems, we have created a presentation with translations, in this link.
A printout of your online application form (can download after you complete the online application)
Four biometric photos (photo must be taken within the last 6-months (frontal, clear face, in a way that the foreigner can be recognized easily) with a white background).
Photocopy of passport pages (the page with your photo, the page where validity and expiry dates are written, and the page with the last entry stamp)
Photocopy of Previous Residence Permit Card (if you had one)
Student Certificate in Turkish (should be recent)
Health Insurance Policy in Turkish (should be valid for one year minimum)
125 Turkish Lira fee receipt (You can pay online here - for "Başvuru Numarası" you can put the "Accrue No." which can be found on your online application form. If this does not work, you will need to do the payment at Hisar Tax Office after getting a tax number from this link.)
E-visa printout (for students who have e-visa)
In cases where the person concerned is under the age of 18 and is arriving without a visa:
- Deed of consent (Muvafakatname) by the student's father/mother/legal guardian is required. The person under the age of 18 should obtain mentioned deed of consent from the legal authorities in their respective country before arriving in Turkey mentioning that the student has permission to live in Turkey and study in Istanbul Bilgi University.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Certain conditions have been set for these two documents: • If students’ respective country is a party to the Apostille Convention, then the documents should have the Apostille approval by the Turkish embassy or consulate in their country. The certified Turkish translation of the documents have to be approved by the notary. • If the students’ documents have been prepared in their respective country without the Apostille approval, then they must firstly get them approved by their embassy or consulate in Turkey. Secondly, they should go to the district governorship, Legal Advisory Department to approve their certified Turkish translated documents.
- Birth certificate (Turkish translation - notary approved)
The International Student Advising Office will be accepting your residence permit documents only on these specific days so make sure to be there on time with all necessary documents and please do not forget to wear a mask.
Days: Tuesday to Thursday
Time: 11 AM – 4 PM
Place: International Student Advising Office, Global Talent Management Center Building, santralistanbul Campus
- When the International Student Advising Office submits your folder to the Migration Office, you will receive an email in your BİLGİ email inbox.
- If you receive an email/SMS regarding an appointment date and time, you may ignore it.
- Once the documents are approved, you will receive an email or SMS saying that your application has been “evaluated positively”. This may take a few weeks.
- If you receive any other SMS from “GOC IDARESI”, please check your BİLGİ email and be in touch with us.
- If you received the approval message, you should wait for an SMS from the postal service (PTT) which may take a few more weeks longer than usual due to the amount of applications. Once you get the code, you can check under PTT Registered Mail tracking. For details about PTT tracking process, check the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
* If you do not receive the approval message or the PTT code in one month from receiving the submission email from us, you can send an email to email@example.com with a scan of your passport or call 157 regarding the status of your card.
To track the status of your application after it has been submitted to the Migration Office, you can check this webpage.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Keep in mind that once you receive your card, you must send us a scan of the front and back to be added to the Higher Education Council database - firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you do your residence permit application, you cannot leave Turkey without paying a fine until you receive your residence permit card. The International Student Advising Office suggests you don’t take this risk and you wait until you receive your resident permit before you travel outside of Turkey.
If you absolutely must travel, «Müracaat Belgesi» can be taken after you receive an email/SMS from the Migration Office stating that your application has been "evaluated positively". You can take it from the Migration Office at the airport by stating that you are a student leaving due to an emergency.
According to the law, you are NOT allowed to leave the country for more than 15 days without the residence permit.
Private Health Insurance
In order to apply for residence permit, you need to have an active health insurance. For this, you can apply to any health insurance company within Turkey. To make this process easier for you, there are a few private health insurance companies that work with our university. You may contact the companies directly to get more information regarding the coverage and prices.
Network Health Insurance - Ayşe Gerginten | email@example.com | 0216 553 42 45
Allianz Health Insurance - Gürkan Aydeniz | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0216 456 81 11
Antares Health Insurance - Aziz Yalınkılıç | email@example.com | 0216 550 46 92
Guard.me International Insurance - Cansu Uzun | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0532 377 17 50
Private Health Insurance companies require you to have a tax number. Make sure to obtain one before you apply. You can get one online or in-person.
- You may apply for a tax number online at this link.
- You may apply for a tax number in-person, all you need is your passport and a photocopy of the passport page with your photograph on it.
- Address of Beyoğlu Vergi Dairesi (Tax Office): Şahkulu Mahallesi, Meşrutiyet Cad. No:125, 34421 Beyoğlu
- Phone: (0212) 244 03 83
SGK Health Insurance
After you received you Residence Permit Card, you may apply to Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu (SGK). Once you apply to SGK, you won’t need to apply for a new special Health Insurance during your Residence Permit renewal. For the application you will need your Residence Permit Card and signed and stamped student certificate.
Address: Pürtelaş Mah. Meclis-i Mebusan Caddesi No: 43 Fındıklı - Beyoğlu / İSTANBUL Phone: (212) 372 10 00 E-mail: email@example.com
DISCLAIMER: The information below is provided to help you have an idea on what to do in certain situations. Please make sure that you contact the Migration Office Hotline before you take any action. This is to ensure that you are following the latest procedure.
I did my residence permit application, how do I track my card to see when it will arrive?
After the application is submitted to the Migration Office, you will receive an email/SMS stating that your application has been evaluated positively. After that, once your card is being delivered a postal barcode will be sent to you via SMS. You may follow your residence permit progress under PTT Registered Mail tracking.
If you wrote the university address for delivery, we will email you on your BİLGİ email address once it arrives.
However, if you wrote your home address on the application form, it will come to your house. If they cannot find you at the address and for this reason your documents cannot be delivered, documents will be held in the related branch of the PTT for 7 days and then returned to the Migration Office. In this case you can receive your residence permit card by going to İstanbul İl Goç İdaresi Müdürlüğü, Hirka - İ Şerif Mahallesi, Vatan Caddesi No: 64/34091, Fatih/İstanbul.
You can contact PTT at 444 1788.
If it has been more than one month since you submitted your folder to us and you have not received the "evaluated positively" email or SMS, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a scan of your passport or call 157 regarding the status of your card.
My residence permit card got expired, what do I do?
The residence permit applications can occur at the earliest 60 days prior to the expiration date, however students with expired residence permits can apply for a new one under "First-Time Application" on the e-İkamet website in 10 days time .
If you are out of the rights of being a student the other types of residence permit procedures will apply; in all cases you should apply before the expiration date or within the 10-day period for the residence permit that will fit your situation.
I lost my residence permit card, what do I do?
If you lost your residence permit card or got it stolen, you should first go to the nearest police station and report that it is no longer in your possession. You will receive a report stating that it is lost. With all of these documents, you should go to the Migration Office and submit it to them.
- Police Report
* This document can be obtained at the District of Population (Nüfus Müdürlüğü) in the area that you are living in. You need to take your house contract, bills and residence permit card with you to get this document.
Once you take these documents there, you will need to fill a form and pay the card fee again and submit the receipt to the Migration Office.
I froze my semester (Leave of Absence)/took a gap semester, what happens to my residence permit?
If you freeze your semester or take a gap semester, the Migration Office can cancel your student residence permit since you are not seen as an active student. If you wish to stay in Turkey, you can make a transfer application from Student to Short-Term residence permit. You may get more information regarding the process and documents from the e-İkamet website and by calling 157.
I graduated, what happens to my residence permit?
Students who graduate are responsible to inform the Migration Office within 10 days of having the status of "Graduated" on SIS. If you wish to stay in Turkey after your graduation, you can make a transfer application from Student to Short-Term residence permit on the e-İkamet website. Your “Reason for Stay” will be “6-months within graduation” and you may get more information regarding the process and documents from their website and by calling 157.
My information has changed, what do I do?
If you have changed your address, phone number, marital status, name, birth certificate, you have to notify it to the Migration Office by:
- filling out this form - (English translation)
- emailing the copy of your passport and residence permit card with the form to the Migration Office (Göç İdaresi) at: email@example.com
If you are facing any issues, you should call 157.
I changed my university/major/faculty, what do I do?
If you are a transferred student from another University in Turkey, or changed your faculty or department in İstanbul Bilgi University, you have to inform and register your new contact information to Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü/Migration Office.
If the student is changing his/her school from one city to another then they are responsible inform the Migration Office within 10 days.
If the student is making any changes within the same city then they are responsible to inform the Migration Office within 20 days.
Important Notes While Applying for Residence Permit
You should make your application between the time period of visa or visa dispensation. During the application appropriateness to the 180/90 rule is checked. According to this, foreigners who enter Turkey under the concept of visa or visa dispensation can only stay in our borders for 90 days without a residence permit. Students who entered the country with a conditional acceptance have to make their application within 10 days of notice; fail to do so, then the office cannot accept the applications in any case. Student Residence Permit Application can be made during the visa time/visa dispensation after the registration to a university is completed. If students who entered the country with a conditional passport fail to make their registration to a university on the day that they entered the country, they cannot receive a student residence permit. According to law 6458, students without an insurance must have a health insurance under the order of the law. If the international student had made an international insurance before arriving the country, then they are required to provide a notarized translation of the policy. Additionally, the student will need the university’s written approval for the order of residence permit application in order to continue their application.
If you have any questions, please contact us first: firstname.lastname@example.org
If we direct you to the Migration Office, you may contact them at:
157 if you are in Turkey
+90 312 157 11 22 if you are abroad
email@example.com for checking your application status (should email with a scan of your passport)
The Address of İçişleri Bakanlığı Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü / Directorate General of Migration Management: