İstanbul Bilgi University Fields of Excellence (BMA) Rules and Procedures
Goal and Scope
In order to promote fields at the University that have become advanced in terms of scientific and social effect and ensure that these fields are recognized by all stakeholders, a decision was made to create fields of excellence at BİLGİ. Not only will every field of excellence demonstrate a pioneering scientific quality in every study they have conducted or will conduct, but they will also exhibit an added value to society and present political suggestions to decision makers during political policy making processes. In other words, the designated fields of excellence will become a different aspect of BİLGİ known to the public.
The fields of excellence will be determined using an interdisciplinary approach and can be from fields of study outlined by departments, centers and/or institutes and can be from current ongoing studies. Additionally, for fields that lie outside of the current research center and research institutes’ areas of study, care should be given to choose pioneering fields that shed light on local and global issues that have become a problem and/or will become a problem in the future.
Pursuant to the review to be conducted by the Rectorate in accordance with the criteria outlined below, within the scope of the selected fields of excellence, the aim is to support not only every type of scientific study, but also studies that create an effect at the social and public level. To this end, the Rectorate will provide every kind of support for applications to be made to external university funds to convert the studies into large scale projects. Additionally, the chosen fields of excellence and the faculty members in these fields will be featured by the University in informative and promotional material distributed to the public and thus ensure they gain greater visibility in the public sphere.
As you are aware, such scientific research and publication focused endeavors like the Scientific Research Projects (SRP), the Research Track and the BİLGİ Research Development Innovation (RDI) have been managed successfully. The difference between BMA and current practices is that fields that have attained a certain level of maturity will become the visible face of the University to the public and will conduct studies that will have a direct influence on society and the public.
After the fields of excellence have been determined by the Rectorate, those faculty members that have submitted an application in those fields will be awarded additional points provided they submit an application to the Scientific Research Project. The chosen BİLGİ Fields of Excellence will be supported for a period of three years. Once the period of support for the previously chosen fields has come to an end, these fields can submit a new application provided the submission contains different content, ensures the participation of new members and is made up of original elements.
Conditions and Application
The following conditions have been outlined for the management of the BİLGİ Fields of Excellence’s (BMA) establishment and recognitions phases.
- A BMA can be established in two separate categories, scientific effect focused and social/public effect focused:
1.a. Scientific Effect Focused BMA: Researchers that have gained recognition due to their productivity in a certain scientific field can come together to apply to be recognized as a Scientific Effect Focused BMA. The number of authors for applications in this category can be a maximum of 49 and articles that have been published in journals in a related field in SSCI/SCI-Expanded/AHCI indexed journals and in journals with a SCOPUS SNIP value of 1.0 and above, and books and book chapters from the A+ or A category from the UMB Publisher Classification List will be taken into consideration.
1.b. Social/Public Effect Focused BMA: Researchers that have gained recognition due to their studies that focus on a certain social issue, are geared towards application and policy generation and have worked on projects and studies that have a strong social tendency can come together to apply to be recognized as a BMA in this category. Activities like Turkish publications, project experiences, reports prepared for non-governmental organizations and/or public institutions, collaborations with institutions outside the University, conferences and events and non-university trainings are also taken into consideration for applications in this category provided they are related to the respective field of excellence.
- Not only can every faculty, department, school, vocational school, research institute and research center at BİLGİ apply, different units can come together to create an interdisciplinary type of application.
- A BMA must be made up of at least three full-time BİLGİ faculty members. Each BMA assigns one faculty member from itself as a representative. All communication is conducted with this BMA representative. Instructors that are not considered faculty members can also become members of a BMA.
- 4. An individual cannot be a member of more than one BMA in the same category. However, it is possible to be a member of a scientific and social effect focused BMA at the same time.
- An application is made by completing the form prepared by the Rectorate. The applications are reviewed by the Rectorate in accordance with the process managed by the vice rector responsible for research.
Operation and Termination
- The BMA representative submits an annual activity report to the Rectorate at the end of every academic year.
- The BMA status is awarded for a period of three years. This status can be renewed. If the annual activity reports are deemed to be insufficient, the BMA activities can be terminated without waiting for the three years to be completed.