Scientific Impact Focused
Gender studies is an interdisciplinary field addressing many different issues such as gender representation and reflections of gender inequality in different fields. Since the first half of the 20th century up until today, gender studies has been a part of scientific studies and presented a different point of view and criticism by adopting a gender perspective regarding the method, the practice of producing knowledge, and the issues that are addressed in almost every discipline. This field of study concentrated more on women in its first years. Gender studies has recently undergone an expansion and been enriched with masculinity and queer studies. Many magazine and book series have been published, new graduate programs have been opened, and gender studies has become a profound scientific field.
While the literature on gender studies has been expanding globally, the history of women studies in Turkey is relatively new. Despite this, women studies corpus has experienced a rapid growth with the momentum provided by the feminist movement. Masculinity and queer studies, as newly emerging fields, have been a part of this development. Scientific knowledge production currently takes place within a larger area. The development of women’s studies has been followed by the formation of women’s and gender studies research centers. Today, there are many research and application centers focusing on women’s and gender studies under different names at many universities.
İstanbul Bilgi University is an institution that produces knowledge about the issue in different fields with its research projects and researchers focusing on gender. The first step for putting the current production in communication with one another and provide interdisciplinary studies has been taken in 2019 with the foundation of BİLGİ Gender Studies Group. Gender Studies Field of Excellence has brought together academics conducting research on gender and sexuality within a larger platform in order to further develop these studies. While this field of excellence creates an area in which interdisciplinary studies can be carried out with regard to gender, it also aims to encourage the production of comprehensive studies on national and global levels.
- Faculty Member, İlknur Hacısoftaoğlu, PhD Department of Sports Management (BMA Representative)
- Prof. Gonca Günay, Department of Business
- Prof. Aslı Tunç, Department of Media
- Prof. Hale Bolak, Department of Psychology
- Prof. Itır Erhart, Department of Media
- Prof. Gülhan Balsoy, Department of History
- Assoc. Prof. İnci Bilgin Tekin, Department of English Language and Literature
- Assoc. Prof. Zeynep Talay Turner, Department of Comparative Literature
- Assoc. Prof. Yağmur Nuhrat, Department of Sociology
- Faculty Member, Anıl Özge Üstünel, PhD Department of Psychology
- Research Assistant Eylem Mercimek, Department of Sociology
Biomedical Technologies Scientific Field of Excellence includes the implementation of design concepts to the fields of medicine and biology by considering engineering and technology principles. This interdisciplinary research field aims to develop new diagnosis, treatment, monitoring, and therapy methods and devices by implementing the design and problem-solving skills of engineering to medicine and biology-based sciences through bringing together the fields of engineering and medicine. The research subjects of this field include biomechanics, bioMEMS, biomaterials, biomedical optics and imaging systems, biomedical robots, biomedical instrumentalization, biomedical signal processing, diagnostic machine learning, biomedical sensors, tissue engineering, medical devices, clinical and rehabilitation engineering, and the implementations of these in the fields of medicine and biology.
The most important reason as to why Biomedical Technologies Scientific Field of Excellence research area has been formed is to develop medical devices, systems, and technologies by establishing and strengthening the interdisciplinary scientific study method that becomes increasingly more important and produces highly effective outputs at İstanbul Bilgi University. For this end, the primary goal is to expand the scope of the present interdisciplinary studies within BİLGİ Field of Excellence and present them as projects to both international and national funders.
- Assoc. Prof. Yiğit Dağhan Gökdel, Electrical and Electronics Engineering (BMA Representative)
- Prof. Perihan Güner, Nursing
- Assoc. Prof. Tomris Duymaz, Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Faculty Member, Baykal Sarıoğlu, PhD Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Faculty Member, İpek Şen, PhD Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Faculty Member, Okan Zafer Batur, PhD Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Faculty Member, İbrahim Başar Aka, PhD Mechatronics Engineering
- Faculty Member, Abdurrahman Eray Baran, PhD Mechatronics Engineering
- Faculty Member, Yuk Yin Ng, PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
- Faculty Member, Ali Deniz Dalgıç, PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
- Faculty Member, Esengül Elibol, PhD Medical Services and Techniques
- Faculty Member, Betül Gülsen Aktaş, PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
- Tuğba Yeni, Department of Nursing, Lecturer
Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
The field of Artificial Intelligence and Data Science is becoming increasingly more important in the academic field and in our current work environment. It is a scientific discipline in which the need for relevant research funds and experts is on the rise, and an important field of research that will enable our University to play a more efficient role in fields and formations such as industry collaborations, entrepreneurship, TEKMER, and Technocity and ensure that a higher number of students who are more qualified will prefer our University. Considering all these aspects and keeping in mind the high numbers of competent and senior researchers, the inscription of Artificial Intelligence and Data Science as a BİLGİ Field of Excellence will constitute a significant investment for the future.
- Assoc. Prof. Tuğba Dalyan, PhD Computer Engineering (Representative)
- Prof. Ahmet Denker, Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Prof. Leyla Keser, Law
- Assoc. Prof. Hilal Taymaz Nikerel, PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
- Faculty Member, Füsun Servin Tut Haklıdır, PhD Energy Systems Engineering
- Faculty Member, Elena Battini Sönmez, PhD Computer Engineering
- Faculty Member, Özlem Ulucan Açan, PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
- Faculty Member, İrem Otay, PhD Industrial Engineering
- Faculty Member, Banu Kabakulak, PhD Industrial Engineering
- Faculty Member, Barış Soybilgen, PhD Business
- Faculty Member, Hakan Ayral, PhD Computer Engineering
- Faculty Member, Savaş Yıldırım, PhD Computer Engineering
- Faculty Member, Yeşim Öniz, PhD Mechatronics Engineering
The terms radicalism, extremism, fundamentalism, and terrorism are used interchangeably in daily life and scientific literature. This equivalent usage is not surprising considering that we are living in an era characterized by populism and a Cartesian dualist understanding in terms of comprehending and conceptualizing social, economic, and political phenomena. This reductionist tendency also affects scientific thought. In addition to the facts that the scientific research uncovers, current findings demonstrate that policymakers, journalists, and people also use these terms as synonyms to label various social and psychological events. It is observed today that the concept of radicalization has mostly negative connotations. The researchers who work within the Radicalization Field of Excellence aim to discuss the radicalization arguments scientifically on the basis of the findings acquired from the studies that they conducted in Europe, Northern Africa, and Middle East in particular.
- Prof. Ayhan Kaya, International Relations (Representative)
- Prof. Erkan Saka, Media
- Assoc. Prof. Hasret Dikici Bilgin, International Relations
- Assoc. Prof. Ulaş Karan, Law
- Expert Researcher Metin Koca, European Institute
- Expert Researcher Ayşenur Benevento, European Institute
- The EU Financial Support and Projects Expert Deniz Güneş Yardımcı, European Institute
- Prof. Ömer Turan, Department of International Relations (BMA Representative)
- Assoc. Prof. Evren Hoşgör, Department of Business Administration
- Faculty Member, Can Cemgil, PhD, Department of International Relations
- Faculty Member, Fırat Genç, PhD, Department of Sociology